Monday, July 2, 2012

12X12 Halfway There Party!


I’m trying to eek out an entry for the 12X12 in 2012 Halfway There Blog Party. The problem with going (almost?) last is that I’ve had a chance to see what all those other Partiers have done (great stuff!) and I’m drawing a blank.
 
Hmm. Still thinking…

Luckily, I had a little more luck coming up with picture book manuscripts. At the halfway mark, I can honestly say that I have six first drafts completed. Number Six was under the wire too— completed it on June 30th.

I’ll spare you the reasons (excuses?). Some months have been very organized and some less so. June was one of the latter (started a new job). But thanks to the 12X12, I was motivated to get something on paper. So for the first time, I wrote a first draft in bits and pieces. I usually like to write the first draft in one go but I had to write it on the fly this month and it really wasn’t so hard after all. A couple of paragraphs in the dentist's waiting room, a few more waiting at my daughter's ballet gala, recharging in my favorite café... I had time to think about my ending without stressing, do a little research, figure things out. This story, like the other five I’ve written this year (plus the seven written for NaPiBoWriWee) will need lots of revision. That’s okay. I’m looking forward to it. Once the first draft is down, the fun part is making it better and sketching out characters.

I’ve been having a great 12X12. Thanks so much to Julie Hedlund for dreaming this up and to all the 12X12ers who are such a supportive, interesting, inspiring group.

Party On!

28 comments:

  1. Drawing a blank...lol! I get it. Love the illustration of for it! Sketching out characters does sound like fun. I wish I had your talent. I had to resort to clipart for my blog party. It is a good thing I am not required to illustrate anything I write. Happy writing...and illustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Romelle, Thanks! And Happy writing to you too. I just found your blog and will check out your party post. :)

      Delete
  2. Great post, Dana! Nothing blank about it (except that wonderful illustration!).

    Congrats on your success with the challenge thus far -- here's to the next six months! Write on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! Thanks. I read your 7 things/check in post and you've done so much--in addition to being a very supportive member of the 12X12 and the Children's Book Hub. Have a great time at your conference!!

      Delete
  3. Love the illustration! Congrats on getting your six manuscripts completed! Happy Halfway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like your perspective, and your blank drawing! Wholehearted congrats at the halfway mark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! Congrats right back at you! Loved your "cherry" halfway blog post!

      Delete
  5. Five and ten minutes at a time, you'll get there eventually! Congratulations on your 6 drafts and good luck with the rest of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. Same to you! Loved your Party Post and your messy desk!

      Delete
  6. My last draft, the one for June, was completely written a few hours before midnight of June 30. whew!

    It must be lovely to be able to illustrate. It just doesn't work that way for me, what I see in my mind is so NOT what comes out on paper .. so I stick with words.

    Wishing you continued success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lynn. And believe me, what's in my head doesn't always come out on paper either. Lots of surprises there! :)

      Delete
  7. Rien n'est plus difficile que de peindre le vide...
    Je vous souhaite plein de bonnes choses.

    Gros bisous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salut, Martine! Merci beaucoup! Et pareillement pour vous. Je vais venir visiter votre blog voir tous le merveilles que vous avez peint recemment. A bientôt!

      Delete
  8. I wish I could draw a blank as well as you Dana! Congratulations on getting your drafts done - especially this month. Love have you in the challenge and heading up our French contingent! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. I love being a part of the challenge! You're doing such a great job. :)

      Delete
  9. Love your blank, Dana! And well done for those six accomplishments, just waiting to be revised!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dana...so lovely to connect with you via 12x12. :) Julie has not only provided us with the inspiration and motivation to write picture books...she has also helped us link up with hundreds (over 400...unbelievable!) of fellow writers/illustrators/lovers of children's picture books!
    Congratulations on your 6 pb drafts...and on your AMAZING illustrations (nothing blank there!)and on your bilingual work...KUDOS!
    Good luck in the second half of the year...and happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Vivian! I too love meeting all these great people through the 12X12. Hope your 12X12 is going well! :)

      Delete
  11. Super illustration! Congrats on 6 in 6 Dana.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HA! That illustration is all too familiar sometimes:) Creativity doesn't happen on demand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Carter! Just got to let it go and carry on. It works its way back sooner or later. :)

      Delete
  13. Cute little sketch, Dana! Congrats on all your manuscripts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina! I know congrats are in order for you too. :)

      Delete
  14. I have found that the 12x12in2012 Picture Book Challenge causes me to create when I would have otherwise put it off. Here's to another productive six months for us both! Happy creating!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Sheri! It's true-- the 12X12 is a great motivator. Yes, six more months of creativity! (and beyond!)

    ReplyDelete